Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Waiting for eBay

I started on eBay back in 1998 when it was a very different experience than it is today, the primary difference is that nowadays there is enormous competition and so, over the two decades, eBay has grown and changed to compete and in many ways, that has made the experience worse for small sellers like myself.

I still find eBay is a great place to buy, but not as great to sell.

The thing about having a hobby is to enjoy it, and my ongoing interest over the decades has been the tech side, or electronics in general, and I made a decision a while ago that I would attempt to make my hobby revenue neutral.

I would achieve this by selling items that I found in thrift stores, yard sales or at the Computer or Hamfest events, to generate cash to buy things that I wanted, often at good prices on eBay, even when shipping costs were taken into account. This has been a very good system and I hope to continue as long as it is viable, but as I say, eBay is not as great a place to sell as it used to be.

The fees have risen over the years, plus now fees apply to the shipping costs as well, a smart move for the eBay shareholders, but effectively squeezing profit margins for all the little guys.

But hey, that is life, so live with it.

I'm not attempting a rant about eBay, just saying how things have changed and it is a challenge to keep a tech hobby like mine at a no cost point, but I am mostly achieving that. The title of this blog entry is my current condition, waiting for Canada Post to deliver several items I have purchased on eBay so that I can progress current projects that are sitting on the bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment