Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Mashed Potato

A post mortem of the latest build, and a modification. I took the Nvidia GTX 750 TI 2GB card out and replaced with a $20 AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GB, all in the name of investigation and science, and to bring the total cost of the "mashed" potato down to about C$100 even.

The criteria being a "quiet" machine that will run my favourite game, ESO, at an acceptable framerate, mainly as I wish to purchase a laptop soon with similar specifications, to be able to run the game remotely if I choose. I also added a 1X PCIe WiFi card adapter with a laptop card, all included in that price.

The HD 5770 is an older card, does not support DirectX 12 at all, but will support the level needed for ESO. I am testing it out right now and yes, I see a difference from my higher priced card on the "other potato" but it is acceptable for a mobile solution.

It has 800 shaders, 1GB GDDR5 and is really not too shabby for a 108 Watt card (that will run comfortably with the Earthwatts power supply) plus the $5 adapter card with a wireless N laptop card is working perfectly.

Ok, enough talk, time to test. 

No comments:

Post a Comment