Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Ready Built Monster Haswell

Sunday afternoon I spotted a local advert on FB Marketplace, luckily before I had started having a pint or two, the seller had a computer, two monitors, a desk, speakers and other peripherals listed for $200 and I shot him a message about just the computer, mainly as I wanted the ATX case and the PSU. It wasn't long before he came back with $100 and that was a good price.

The outside pants went back on, I jumped into the car and went and picked it up. It is very true that they do not make cases like this any more.

On the bench, my bench. It is a magnificent, older Corsair ATX case, which will accomodate most modern motherboards and a 750W EVGA power supply. What came as a surprise though were the contents of the case, because without any interference whatsoever from myself, this was already a very capable computer, even in 2023 and I wonder why people sell them so cheap.
It is older technology, of course, but aside from the case and PSU, there is an MSI Z87 G45 Gaming motherboard with an Intel i5-4670K quad core processor. The GPU is an ASUS Nvidia GTX 660 which I assume to be 2GB, there are 8GB of G-Skill Ripjaws X DDR3, and a Samsung Bluray drive. There have been a few updates though since it was originally built, an EDUP 1300Mbps PCIe wireless card and a 960GB Kingston SSD both of which will come in handy.

Add to all of that, a legal, activated version of Windows 10 Enterprise edition, which will travel with the motherboard if I use it again.

These components are destined to be featured here in future builds, I have blogged this for my digital diary, to remember the Sunday when my drinking patterns were disrupted and the internet made me change my pants and spend another hundred bucks on old tech. 

No comments:

Post a Comment