Monday, April 17, 2023

Flip Flop LED breadboard

In the growing supply of kits I have waiting to hone my soldering skills, there are two very simple ones, they are what is called a "Flip Flop" circuit that utilizes two LEDs, two transisitors, two capacitors and four resistors. This is the circuit diagram :


There is a logic afoot within this circuit, and I will attempt to explain what it does, in simple terms it flashes two LED bulbs and most brainiacs will say that it is indeed a very simple circuit, but for me, it was a challenge to get my pea-sized brain around it all, mainly as you can buy flashing LEDs for pennies, however, flashing LEDs also make use of a miniature transistor circuit that is contained within the LED housing.

Here is my attempt at explaining, it might be wrong, but the idea is in my head and I may as well write it down so that in the future I can look back and scoff at how little I actually knew at this point in my education.

The circuit calls for two BC547 transistors which are NPN and the capacitors are connected to the base on each, think of the capacitors as little batteries that cycle from uncharged to charged and when "full" discharge and open the transistor switch so that the corresponding LED can receive current and lights, when the capacitor is discharged, the transistor base is not powered and that LED switches off. While all that is going on, the other capacitor has charged and then provides base current to the other transistor and the other LED lights, this backwards and forwards action continues, so the two LEDs flip flop.

Suitably vague?

I breadboarded the circuit using components out of my supplies, so the transistors used were ZN 2222A another NPN type and the capacitors were 10/35 which are 10 microfarad, as they say, who dares wins and I didn't have the correct components (a bit of a lie, I did, but they are part of the flip flop DIY kits I have purchased shown in the photo) anyhoo, that is what I used for the breadboard experiment.
The kit, shown on the left, will be the next step, cost was a dollar from the far off lands and I bought two, in case my big sausage fingers and soldering incompetence get the better of another set of components. The breadboard was set up and it was happy times as the flip flop worked with both 5V and 3.3V - as usual, I called my good lady out of her happy place and showed her my flashing lights and she said "That's nice dear" and went back to doing whatever she was doing before being summoned by her mad scientist spouse in his thousand year education towards building a hadron collidor.

No comments:

Post a Comment