Sunday, November 26, 2023

Inevitable progess?

 


Presenting an ACER Nitro 5 Intel i5-8300H with Nvida GTX 1050 Ti. The first computer in this house to be running Windows 11, version 23H2 and unfortunately this "progress" is inevitable because of the imminent demise of Windows 10 as I will attempt to explain.

I have been thinking for a year or more about my next steps for my daily computer, I have always run a laptop for most of my needs, and I have a separate, more powerful computer for gaming.  It is an unfortunate fact that Microsoft is once again murdering their baby on the 14th October, 2025 and replacing it with an intrusive, highly controlling, operating system that has strict hardware requirements. That being said, they are replacing an already intrusive operating system with something more intrusive and restrictive and it is a fact that Windows 11 will not work on processors older that eighth generation and computers without a specific generation of TPM module.

We reluctantly moved from Windows 7 and grumbled, and it is merely history repeating itself now, and there are rumours of Windows 12 being released before the demise of Windows 10, a sort of reflection that every other release is a good one, a bit like Star Trek movies, although that paradigm has been broken with the last few movies being pathetic and cartoonish. I have heard bad rumours about Windows 11 but it only seems fair that I should try it for myself.

I don't mind improved hardware, but I do mind Microsoft forcing me into it when I can get by with perfectly adequate older stuff, so in the meantime...

Step one has been going on for almost a year now, I set up a Linux OS computer for appraisal as a "daily driver" trying one version and then taking advice and settling on another. It was noticed during the year that the little NUC computer we have attached to the TV for streaming was being bogged down by the various "secret" windows updates in the background, so about a month ago, let us call it step two, I created an identical NUC but with Linux installed. These two machines have been ticking along nicely, doing what is expected, they wait patiently when updates are available for user permission and there are no windows shenanigans...

Step three to improve things took place this week. I run Windows 10 Pro on a Lenovo T530 laptop, specifically that model as I like it with the backlit keyboard and if we look at the age of it, well the processor is from 2012 and an i5-3320M, Intel Ivy Bridge and over the last few months Windows has slowed, as it does so it needs a total refresh. In terms of Microsoft's plans and industry opinion, this laptop is obsolete, yet it is, in my humble opinion, perfect for everything I need in a daily driver. I bought another from a chap in Victoria last week on eBay for the total cost of $65 and I have set up a fresh Windows 10 installation without compromising my existing machine, it is now fully functional, a clone of my older T530.

Step one, two, three all entailed a machine that will not officially run Windows 11 and I need to plan for October 2025, which will arrive quicker than expected, due to the odd nature of forward time travel in retirement. The Acer Nitro, being fully compliant with all Microsoft requirements for Windows 11 is a stepping stone, an educational computer to dovetail me into their new ways. 

The question is, will it be adequate for Windows 12 when it inevitably arrives?

No comments:

Post a Comment