Sunday, March 24, 2024

Rampant Consumerism

I suppose this can be included in this blog because it floods my brain at the moment and perhaps I will explain how this suddenly happened : 

A panel on our fence blew down and we fixed it, during that process I realized that my cordless drill, a Black and Decker, purchased back in 2008, needed a second battery, because it was very clear that other parts of the fence needed reinforcing or improving, just to keep away the inevitable day when the whole thing would be replaced.

That sounds straight forward, buy a second battery and get on with it, yet things are never that simple in the cordless tool environment, because sixteen years had passed and of course, the smart people at Black and Decker have no desire for consumers to keep their old battery operated tools, they want them to buy new battery operated tools.

I sold the B&D for $40 on marketplace and after some research, bought a DeWalt kit with two batteries and charger, I must admit the little drill you see in the centre of the photo, the brushless DCD701, is quite an impressive little unit. The bag, two batteries, charger and drill came to $135 so with my B&D discount I was $95 out of pocket.

I hear you say, but OTG, there appear to be other things in the photo, other DeWalt things, and I will commend you on your observational skills, for a week or so after the initial purchase, I was intrigued by the comments online about impact drivers and found on marketplace a chap selling a set including an impact driver, so we can add another $80 to the expenditure, now I'm up to $175

I have plans though, I will attempt to recoup some of that back by selling the brushed drill with used battery and the additional charger on marketplace. I would say watch this space but that's probably the last anyone will hear of this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment