Friday, December 30, 2016

Close but no cigar...

I was off digging for photographs and I came upon this one, so this will be good to discuss the original cord cutting setup and demonstrate how our configuration changed many times over the four year period.


This shows an iteration of the setup, the photo was taken in March, 2013

The Dell Optiplex had been moved downstairs serving the second TV, the black box on top of the DVD player was a small Core 2 Duo PC and it was connected to the external antenna with a Hauppauge USB dongle. ATSC and QAM capability. The ATV is there, but I believe it was a 3rd Generation, mainly as I discovered that the 2nd Gen could sell for $200 on eBay, so revenue neutral kicked in and I flogged it and pocketed the difference as the newer model was selling for around $100.

The Roku there is probably a 2nd Gen XS and the XD had migrated downstairs.

At this stage of the game, we were getting around 8 channels of ATSC from the antenna.

The box to the left in the stereo unit is a Dell Optiplex C2D tower, with full size ATSC and QAM cards, it was our first DVR and I would set it up to record programs, you will have noticed that I have mentioned QAM twice now, and we'll talk about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment