Thursday, December 29, 2016

Like a Fox

I have a lot of time on my hands and I do like to spend money, but at the same time, I get the most warm and fuzzy feeling when I save real money. You could argue that my track record over the years with buying and constructing tech devices does not really demonstrate a canny approach to saving money, but I'll politely point out that I retired three weeks before my fiftieth birthday and I don't give a monkeys left nut what you think.

I like to buy tech stuff, and in the last decade, I would estimate that I am revenue neutral, I sniff out bargains, I buy many, many tech things, and after playing with them, I sell them again, usually at a small profit. I do keep hold of some though, they become my "little friends".

Smart like a fox, or is it crazy like one?

The last post was about the retired Roku 1 that was discontinued in October, and I bought one, just to make a spare TV into a streaming device. The retirement of a third generation device peaked my interest in the new fifth generation offerings from Roku, and I just had to have one, but again, I had to have one under my own terms.


The Premiere+ has had amazing reviews online, voted editors choice on PC Mag, and as I already owned a "little friend" which was a Roku 3, my research told me that the Premiere+ would be a nice upgrade, plus of course, my Roku 3 could be repurposed.

I do a lot of lurking on eBay, after all, I do have all the time in the world, being retired as I am, so I just bided it, biding time, time was officially bided, until I bidded.

These numbers may seem silly in years to come, but at a time when the MSRP is $109.99 plus taxes and Walmart are selling for $99.88 + taxes (the .88 to attract our Asian friends no doubt) well, the fox found one, brand new, on eBay for $85 including taxes and shipping.

Crazy?

I thinketh not.

No comments:

Post a Comment