Saturday, December 14, 2019

Cable Management Two

The Dell T1700 motherboard uses a five pin power switch connection, if you go online to solve this for a classic two pin momentary switch solution (as with all third-party cases on the market) you will see numerous discussions, some possible solutions, wiring diagrams and a lot of almost correct information relating to other Dell products and not necessarily the T1700 fix.

The motherboard socket on my switch assembly, from the original Precision T1700 Workstation, the wiring colors and what I did with them :


Using the black and yellow wire from the 5/6 pin harness as a momentary switch worked, however, the Dell system on startup would report "Alert! Power Button Cable Failure" so the solution in this case was to splice the red and yellow cables together as power switch A, this resulted in the case momentary switch working as expected without the log error. I am going to ignore the blue and orange wires. 

This made my OCD very happy as now the system has no startup alert messages, except for the missing boot drive one, which I will fix soon by adding an SSD (Solid State Drive). 

This iteration of cable management also meant I added the cable (SATA channel 1) to the optical drive, I then used a couple of twist ties to tidy other things up and of course, I was happy to use some of my shrink fit tubing on the cable splice which you can see just to the left of the optical drive

The machine is starting to look like someone cares about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment