Sunday, December 8, 2019

Thermal Considerations.

I mentioned thermal paste there and I'd like to discuss a few things about computer building that should not be overlooked.

The T1700 motherboard is a Micro-ATX sized board which means that it's maximum size is 9.60 inches square, therefore it can fit into a smaller case than it's big brother, the ATX, which is usually about 12.00 inches by 9.60 inches. The smaller mATX case is better for desk space, but presents challenges for keeping the system cool.

The LGA 1150 socket on this board supports the i5-4570 CPU that I installed and as you can see, I mounted a heatsink and fan to the CPU with a layer of thermal paste. The lower face of the heatsink had a smooth, polished finish, the upper part of the CPU is similar, but regardless, as I learned at trade school, to a high powered microscope these surfaces resemble a mountain range of grooves and scratches, anything but smooth and polished.

The thermal paste fills in the irregularities between the two surfaces so that heat will transfer more efficiently. When I tightened the four corner screws of the heatsink, it squeezed the thermal paste into a tight, even layer. The heat generated by the CPU transfers into the multi-finned heatsink and then the top mounted fan pulls the hot air away from the assembly. Yje speed of this fan is controlled by logic built into the motherboard.

The foward mounted, constant flow, Antec 120mm fan and the rear Dell 80mm fan will help to circulate the warm air from the inside of the case, the heat generated by this system will also increase if I decide to install a graphics card, instead of relying on the integrated graphics. Cool air is pulled into the case at the front and extracted at the back, again the rear mounted fan is monitored by the system and the speed adjusted according to temperature.

Heat is something I should monitor, and adjust as I proceed with the build, both with the case open and especially so when the sides of the case are re-installed.I may need to install another chassis fan in the process, hopefully not as I don't want this machine to sound like a freight train.


1 comment:

  1. Bloody fantastic Mr. W. ....
    Your are still decades ahead of where I am on this interest/hobby ...

    ReplyDelete