Saturday, January 18, 2020

The Intel NUC Project, January 2020

This UCFF system kit, NUC6CAYS,  is based on the 6th generation Celeron-branded Apollo Lake SoC 14 nm processor family. It was launched in Q4/2016 so it is a few generations above my previous two NUCs.

This NUC will be the basis for the new project, it is different in many ways than the previous two, two unique differences being that it arrives with 2GB of RAM and a 32GB eMMC solid state drive that is preinstalled with Windows 10 Home. In theory it is ready to roll right out of the box.

The TDP on this processor is a mere 10 watts. Thermal Design Power is a guideline to the maximum heat that a processor will output (under normal operation) and is also an indicator of CPU efficiency.



There are other additions, there is Wifi and Bluetooth built in, USB 3.0 ports front and back, a memory card slot, dual microphones, VGA output as well as HDMI and as you can see on the second photo, an optical audio port with 7.1 Surround sound.

The NUC is also taller than my current models, because there is space for a 2.5" hard drive in there, in addition, the power button is no longer on the top of the unit, it is on the front of the case.

I will be adding extra RAM and a Kingston 240GB Solid State Drive (SSD) which will give me plenty of (quiet) storage space for this audio and video jukebox that I have been promising myself for years now. 

In the next few days I will document my progress with this new device. 

No comments:

Post a Comment