Monday, January 20, 2020

The Purpose of it all. NUC number three.

I'm sitting here at the moment, copying all my music files over to the NUC6CAYS which takes quite a while (there are about ninety gigabyte of files - plus I will be adding more) and thought I'd explain what the purpose of it all is.

The NUC, and many other PCs with HDMI output, can be attached to the home TV and become a HTPC and media server. HTPC stands for Home Theatre PC and if you look back to my entry from February 2016 you will see that I've been tinkering with them for around sixteen years now.

The first HTPC cost me a couple of thousand dollars and was far too noisy to be of any real joy, the case alone cost me C$200 which is about what I paid for the NUC6CAYS, Memory and SDD and the NUC is virtually silent.

Attaching a real computer to a big screen TV results in the ability to run everything you could expect from a modern PC or Laptop, however, these machines will not be running word processors, spreadsheets or anything like that, they will be running media programs that will play audio or video, they will be using browsers to stream music and video from the internet and they will do all of that without any annoying fan noise.

The big screen TV becomes the computer monitor and audio can be played either through the TV speakers or via the attached surround sound amplifier via HDMI audio.

A computer is no real use unless there is a keyboard and mouse attached, so I use one of these wireless devices for input :


Logitech K400r a keyboard and trackpad combination that communicates to the NUC via a small USB dongle.

No comments:

Post a Comment