Wednesday, December 7, 2022

The five hundred buck gaming machine, part deux

This follows on from a post in October 2021 about my gaming machine and in the last few weeks there have been a couple of significant upgrades. 

The first was a much improved graphics card, or GPU, as due to the recent crash in crypto, prices have dropped somewhat, so in October, for $130 on marketplace, I purchased an ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 Super. In comparison to the original build GTX 960 the new card has 6GB GDDR6 memory versus 2GB GDDR5 and benchmarks about twice as fast. It also runs a lot cooler and quieter, rather pleased about that as those are two qualities I aim for in my daily driver computer.

The second upgrade was two weeks ago, I replaced the Ryzen 3 1200 CPU with a higher rated Ryzen 7 1700x, improving from a 4 core, 4 thread processor to an 8 core, 16 thread unit. In terms of benchmark, it is about 2.5 times as fast. The CPU was $75 with a brand new wraith cooler.

This is my way. A year had gone by and it was logical to upgrade, so in reality, some would argue that we should call the computer the seven hundred buck gaming machine, however, I will keep the proven ASUS Gefore GTX 960 and Ryzen 3 1200 to one side, which can be used to build, perhaps, a better computer for Karen if she needs it, although she is very happy with the one she currently has.

I will continue to call this the five hundred bucker, perhaps renamed to the 500B MkII this year, and if in future months or years I improve it again, I will report on the progress here.

No comments:

Post a Comment