Thursday, December 29, 2022

When time goes by...

The post office is suitably clogged up at this time of the year, so I decided while I was waiting for the i5-3230M CPU to unclog itself I would remove the heat sink from one of the mini-ITX boards and show the process and reveal the G2 socket here on the blog.

However, that is not how my bench session panned out, as I decided that it would be wise that I should test various aspects of the elected motherboard before the heart transplant process, while impatiently waiting for the new heart to arrive.

Thus time slipped by as I tested WiFi, SATA function and RAM and I am sure before I do remove that tricky heatsink, I will find something else to test. It gives me a chance to be confident with the hardware before I assemble it back into a case to become my daily driver.

I find it odd that they call this size of ITX motherboard a mini-ITX because the 170mm x 170mm form factor is the original ITX size developed in 2001 by VIA technologies. The industry calling this a mini-ITX sort of indicating that there is an ITX motherboard bigger than that, which there is not.

The heatsink is retained with light spring pressure by five nylon pins. I have dealt with these type of pins before and I am a little wary of the removal process, but we will leave that until the next blog entry and that may mean that the new CPU will have arrived and I can complete the procedure.

No comments:

Post a Comment